Thursday 11 January 2018

THE JUNE 12 WE FORGOT IN NIGERIA

CHILD TRAFFICKING FOR LABOUR
Image result for child labour

Are you a Nigerian? Are you aware of June 12? I’m not sure you are aware of the world Day against child Labour.

The World Day Against Child Labour is an International Labour Organization (ILO) sanctioned holiday first launched in 2002 aiming to raise awareness and activism to prevent child labour. It was spurred by ratifications of ILO Convention No. 138 on the minimum age for employment and ILO Convention No. 182 on the worst forms of child labour.

The World Day Against Child Labour, which is held every year on June 12, is intended to foster the worldwide movement against child labour in any of its forms.Today is the first time I’m hearing this; that June 12 is World Day Against Child Labour, but contrary is the meaning in Nigeria. Once june 12 is mentioned the first thing that rund across the mind of an average Nigerian is MKO Abiola and the 1992 general election.

Image result for child labour




Child labour in Nigeria is the employment of children under the age of 18 in a manner that restrict or prevent them from basic education and development. Child labour is pervasive in every state of the country.In 2006, the number of child workers was estimated at about 15 millions.

Poverty is a major factor that drives child labour in Nigeria. In poor families, child labour is a major source of income for the family.

Politics has shifted our focus from whats needs more attention , the issues affecting the child should be a major and global concern of any government that is interesyed in growth and development and also the well being of the state particularly children as they are the future of the Nation.

The US Department of Labour in its 2010 report claims Nigeria is witnessing the worst forms of child labour, The report claims commercial sexual exploitation of children, especially girls, is occurring in some Nigerian cities, I am particular about “Lagos state”.

Why I am so particular about Lagos is because I am born and brought up here I noticed every flat around me where every housemaid are all from Badagry they were all brought by one Mama Eko whose job is to get children for all sorts of domestic works.

I noticed that every child brought by her are all called Bose this baffles me a lot, I tried getting close to the Bose in my compound here is an excerpt from her ordeal:

My father said to me “You are going to Lagos with your aunty”. Filled with happiness the adventurous side took over me, I hurriedly packed my bag and awaited my aunty. Because she promised me that I will be going to school with her children.

I have worked in five different houses with different names my previous madam changed my name because she doesn’t want me to bear same name as her daughter. Mama Eko comes every month to collect money saying that she will send it to my parents which I haven’t heard from them for the past seven years.

She had been working as a maid since age 7, “Madam told me that I cannot start school yet because I could not speak nor understand English so I was going to lesson for a year.”

14 year old Bose is working as a maid and also as a sell girl for her boss whose children are all in school, the day she told mama Eko that she wants to see her parents that was the last time she saw mama. The second girl that was brought along with Bose is now in primary four is now in primary 4 her boss has moved to a new house. How I wish I’m working for that kind of madam Bose said.

The last time I spoke with Bose she said that she met a woman that is from the same village with her that she is willing to take her back home but she will have to get the sum of Ten Thousand Naira #10, 000 for transportation. I don’t know where to get the money because I cannot tell my madam. I told her to be calm because I’m not so sure if the woman is actually going to help her.

According to the International Labour Organization, the number of working children under the age of 14 in Nigeria is estimated at 15 million. The high level of diverse and tedious jobs that children execute in dangerous circumstances is particularly worrying. These jobs include being street vendors, beggars, car washers or watchers and shoe shiners. Others work as apprentice mechanics, hairdressers and bus conductors while a large number work as domestic servants/ maids and farm hands.

Today, it is estimated some 168 million children remain trapped in child labour, many of them work full-time. Today, throughout the world, around 215 million children work, many full-time. They do not go to school and have little or no time to play. Many do not receive proper nutrition or care. They are denied the chance to be children. More than half of them are exposed to the worst forms of child labour such as work in hazardous environments, slavery, or other forms of forced labour, illicit activities including drug trafficking and prostitution, as well as involvement in armed conflict.

I am Quadri Fatima Oluwadamilola join me in the fight against child labour
#June 12 world day against child labour
#stop child labour and child trafficking
Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment